I’ve been doing the 23 Day Frugal Living Challenge over at Frugally Sustainable, I’ve been doing this for a week now and I’m on Day 7. It is really great and I’d definitely encourage all of you to go and check it out!
My life is changing a lot right now and so I’m taking some time to post about what I want to do in regards to decluttering before a big move.
Firstly, let me give you this awesome Decluttering Calendar I found.
Now let me share a list of questions for figuring how how to declutter that I just had to share.
1. is this item something I use regularly?
2. if not, is it something I love?
3. am I keeping this out of obligation?
4. do I think I should love it?
5. am I saving this just in case?
6. do I have multiples of the same thing?
7. could something else do the same job?
8. am I holding onto it to fix one day?
9. is it worth the time I spend cleaning it?
10. could I use this space for something else?
- Day 1: Schedule. First things first: Block off time to organize each day for the next month and mark it on your calendar.
Tip: Need help managing your busy schedule? Make a dry erase calendar using a repurposed frame.
- Day 2:Entryway. Corral stray shoes, bags, umbrellas, keys and other daily clutter with wooden crates, trays or personalized storage baskets.
Tip: To keep entryway floors cleaner for longer, take care of tracked-in messes as they occur. Swiffer® WetJet® can clean better in 1/2 the time vs. a mop and bucket. Guaranteed or your money back.*
- Day 3: Coat Closet. From coats to boots, wrangle outdoor gear once and for all.
- Day 4: Pantry. Complete a Total Pantry Clean Out now and you’ll spend less time later in search of hidden ingredients.
- Day 5: Mealtime. Start pre-planning meals with our free Weekly Menu Planner. It helps limit last-minute trips to the grocery and streamlines dinnertime.
- Day 6: Kitchen Cabinets. Tackle every last one using these 9 tricks for keeping neat, clutter-free cabinets.
- Day 7:Refrigerator.Follow 5 steps to refresh your fridge inside and out.
- Day 8:Dining Area.Clear away paper clutter, homework and craft projects.
- Day 9:Menus. Contain take-out menus in a personalized organizer, easy to make with our free downloadable designs and labels.
- Day 10: Recipes. Build a storage system from scratch or enhance your existing method. See Simple Ways to Organize Recipes for full tutorials.
- Day 11: Dishwasher. No more wondering what’s clean or dirty! Let everyone know when it’s ready to run or unload with do-it-yourself dishwasher signs.
Tip: Try to load the dishwasher right after meals, but when you can’t, no worries! Cascade Complete® Pacs are tough on grease, leaving behind nothing but shine.
- Day 12: Drawers. Conquer at least one overcrowded drawer with the simple 2-step approach in Total Drawer Clean Out.
- Day 13: Coupons.Collect and sort through deals using easy-to-repurpose items, like a clutch or binder.
- Day 14: Entertainment Area. Tidy this action-packed space with our guide to de-cluttering entertainment areas.
- Day 15: Books. Celebrate your collection by organizing every book in style.
- Day 16: Photos. Digital or print, take some time to properly protect and store photos for years to come.
- Day 17: Desk. Clean and streamline your workspace in 3 easy steps.
- Day 18: Paperwork. Find forms, bills, receipts and more when you need them most with an organized folder system.
- Day 19:Hallways. Take advantage of empty hallway walls by hanging shelves or repurposed ladders to create extra storage.
- Day 20: Bathrooms. Keep it calm, not cluttered. After all, it’s where you start and end days. Learn over 20 ways to tame the mess in Organized Bathroom Ideas.
- Day 21: Linen Closet. Beyond towels and sheets, it’s a catchall for all sorts of odds and ends, so maximize its storage potential.
- Day 22: Jewelry.Sort, organize and stow your precious jewels.
- Day 23: Bedroom. Rest and relaxation come easier in clean, organized surroundings. Straighten up your bedroom to help get a better night’s sleep.
- Day 24: Clothing Closet. Overhaul it from top to bottom using our clever sorting and storage systems.
Tip: If you wind up with a pile of spare hangers, repurpose them as organizers.
- Day 25: Purse. Put an end to digging around for that tube of lip balm! For the full how-to, read Total Purse Clean Out.
- Day 26: Basement/Garage. Hang pegboards for stashing sports equipment, garden gear, tools and other heavy-duty items.
Tip: A deep clean does wonders for spaces like basements and garages. Give new life to grimy surfaces around your home with Mr. Clean® Magic Eraser® Extra Power.
- Day 27: Laundry Room. Divide the space into 3 stations to create a structured laundry day routine.
- Day 28: Craft Area. Round up all the leftover supplies from past projects and put them away.
- Day 29: Wrapping Supplies.Convert a hamper into a storage bin for gift-wrapping supplies galore.
- Day 30: Car. Ride happier when you tidy your car’s interior.
Some more links that are full of great tips and lists and tricks for decluttering.
I was supposed to work on my own house… right?
- Living Room
Stay Tuned for Part Three